Sunday, August 24, 2014

Scheid Truck Pull

This weekend I went with my Father, Ethan, and buddy Jesse to a diesel truck pull in Terre Haute, IN.. There were a lot of 'Ole Farm boys' and a lot of black smoke. What an experience.. And what an amazing thing to watch.. Diesel's have come such a long way.. It is incredible what some of these engines can do!!! Most of the trucks there would have no problem out running your mothers car. and they  weight probably more than double!!! Not to mention could pull your house down... absolutely incredible.. but as incredible as these trucks are they are not the most incredible.  I was surrounded by men and women whos lives revolve around powerful trucks and black smoke... This was most unfortunate because there is greater...

If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased. (C.S. Lewis The weight of Glory)

Dont get me wrong, those trucks were cool, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the pulls but affections seemed too weak for greater things. Many are settling for trucks when they could have the King.. We were made for enjoying greater things than mere Trucks..Namely the Glory of God...

While I was there, I did not like what I discovered in my own heart..I saw how my affections are out of place and so very weak.. how little I value great things or how many insignificant things compete with God's infinite worth (fast trucks). Its insanity...But praise him that at least I know he is the most valuable, even when I am having a hard time seeing it. He is most valuable, the greatest. The creator of the mind that made these extraordinary trucks.. He is the one that can do more that pull down a house, He can move the tectonic plates!!!.He can shake the world at its very foundations!!! . I have such a great tendency to overvalue material things..This weekend being at the pulls, I have only seen I have such a long way to go in this process of seeing and valuing God...

However, it was a Joy to take my buddy Jesse with me and let him experience what some diesel motors can do.. Taking him along was, for sure, one of the best parts of the trip, along with hanging out with Dad and Ethan.. We did not get to see the pulls (rained them out), but we did get to see the drags. Half of the fun was just walking around the pits, and checking out all the trucks that were there...Jesse was so very excited the whole time and gave me a lot of Joy seeing him enjoying himself... and I am also thankful for a father who took care of us and treated us to what ever we wanted to do.... Thanks Dad for taking us!!!



The track where they do the pulls.





I think one of the coolest trucks at the show. This boy completely refinished this Chevy and powers it with a 12 valve Cummins.


Here it is on the dino... 425 Hp and 824 ft-lb of torque. 

1 comment:

  1. I struggle finding balance in life. I think most of us do. I know you think it is hard to focus on the Lord first, but being able to go to this event and spend time with your Dad, Ethan and Jesse is one of the best things you could do. The Lord is in your heart and shows in all you do and the people we are with, even in the regular kind of life things. I am glad you had a good time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete